The Waterstone family settled in Greenwood Lake in 1861, leaving NYC for the “country” to better the ill health of their son Edward. They were a religious and educated family who would later build the first church, as well as library in Greenwood Lake. But first they purchased a 2-story cottage on the East Shore of the lake that had been a lodge and bar notorious for rowdy behavior. The Waterstones transformed the upstairs into a proper boarding house and turned the bar into a parlor. The Waterstone Cottage opened its doors and became a destination for quality accommodations. In 1868, Mrs. Waterstone’s brother-in-law, Alexander Brandon, built the majestic Brandon House to take the overflow of visitors who came to vacation at the Waterstone Cottage.
As a place where families can enjoy all that the lake has to offer, the Cottage at the Waterstone Inn continues to provide quality hospitality, accommodations and recreation to ensure a relaxing retreat from the everyday grind.